Friday, September 7, 2007

The loss of Pavarotti

Here's what my Dad said on our MyFamily website:


"The second-greatest tenor of all time (along with Caruso) died today. Of course, my Dad was the greatest."






Yes, my Grandpa was an amazing singer, but as a man he was more amazing. My eyes are full of tears remembering him. He's been gone for 2 years now and waves of sadness realizing he is gone still wash over me now and then. I haven't had to deal with death much in my life. He was the closest person to me that I have had pass away. He's the one who sealed Ben and I ten years ago. He's the one whose face would light up and break into a hug smile whenever we walked in the room. He was always happy to see us. He always told me what a great mom I was. Man, I don't know why this is hitting me so hard this morning. I'm standing at the computer balling as if he died last night. What a great man he was.
This picture says it all in Grandpa's face. He was always full of joy when he was around his family. This picture was taken November '01 at my parents' house in Ohio.

3 comments:

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

Oh my gosh! I got tears in my eyes when I read that about Grandpa. I miss him too and Mason occasionally says he misses him also. It's the way that Grandpa made everyone feel about themselves when they were around him. He told me I had a beautiful smile right after I had knocked out my permanent teeth and I believed him. Seeing Grandma and Grandpa together in the picture made me ache for Grandma because she is alone now. I bet she misses him so much. Whenever I had to tell about my hero in school....it was always grandpa. I miss him too.

Megan said...

That is a very beautiful post Julianne. I still miss both of my grandmas and they pasted away when I was 8 & 11. Sometimes I still tear up. I don't think we ever fully get over loosing our loved ones.

Katrina said...

There's something about grandparents that make us worship them! My grandfather was an amazing man, too! It's so wonderful that we have great people in our lives.