Thursday, September 27, 2007

I can just feel the weight pushing down on me

Brandon is most certainly ADHD. The pediatrician (who specializes in this field) had no doubt in her mind by the end of our appointment on Wednesday morning. We were in for a well check, but I also wanted to talk to her about this. He showed her exactly what she needed to see. He was on his best "worst" behaviour. I am glad to finally have someone tell me that this is why he is the way he is. Problem is, I'm pretty sure it came through me--not that I am blaming myself, but am feeling a little low that I have a little and I see it affect my daily life. That's what is really weighing me. I'm definitely not the extreme, as he is, but I can see many of the symptoms in myself. I don't really even want to think about it.

Also, we need to decide on a treatment of some kind. This is something we will be on our knees about to know what is best for him. We can't get back in to see the doctor again for our full evaluation until December. So until them we will just deal as we have been...

6 comments:

Rochelleht said...

I agree. Just pray about it and the right thing will come to you. There is certainly no reason to feel guilty or weighed down. Like it has anything to do with you.

Try having a raving crazy pre-schooler that you know is exactly like you were. Exactly. All genetics. At least I understand her. That was more than my mom had going for mer.

Anonymous said...

It's not as if you chose to make him this way, Julianne. Blaming yourself makes about as much sense as blaming Mom or Dad--because as far as genetic guilt goes they would be at least as much at fault. It's not as if they decided to give you a mild dose. And really, I doubt there's anyone alive who doesn't have some of the symptoms of ADHD. Like most psychological "disorders," it's not a disease that someone has or catches, not something he got or that you gave him--those letters are just a very helpful way of designating more extreme examples of the kinds of things we all deal with so that they can be cared for in a productive way.

That little spiel aside, don't forget that attention deficit or not, it's not like he could possibly have a better mom to help him.

Julianne said...

Thanks Charisse. ;) It's not really that I'm blaming myself, but since I see a little of it in me I think of all the things I need to be doing better as a mom. I just need to read my scriptures more. :)

Laura said...

I am sure you will have everything fall into place as you guys pray about it! The Lord knows you and he is ready with answers...they will come! ;)

Michelle said...

Pray about. I know the Lord will bless you and your family.

I know sometimes as moms we feel guilty for things that we shouldn't feel guilty about. This isn't your fault and you shouldn't feel like it is. You are a wonderful mother and your son is blessed to have you. Just keep loving him and everything will fall into place. Love you girl and I'll be praying for you!!

Anonymous said...

That's the best thing to do. You're a great Mom and will be inspired as to what to do.