Sunday, October 21, 2007

Be Still, My Soul



Today for the closing hymn we sang Be Still, My Soul. As the melody, harmonies, and words sang to my heart I remembered how much I have always loved this hymn. It is so peaceful, so solemn and beautiful. Here are the words:

Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev’ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav’nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: The hour is hast’ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

Last night we had the missionaries over for dinner and they shared a story with us before they left. I think it was called "Satan's Convention." I don't remember everything about the story or even what the story was, but I remember what it was about--the fact that Satan comes at us from every angle trying to keep that still small voice out of our lives. We seem to always need the radio on in the car, the TV, computer, a movie, a CD on in the house--always noise. How often do we have those quiet moments when we can just listen and the Holy Ghost can communicate with us those things we need to hear? I have to say those quiet moments are very few and far between in my life. This is one thing Satan has succeeded with in my life. There always has to be noise. So this week I'm going to turn off the TV when the kids aren't around, turn off the radio in the car, turn off the computer when I do not need to be on it and see how much I can listen to that still small voice I need desperately in my life. What a blessing it is to have that constant companion!
Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side...

6 comments:

Rochelleht said...

That's great, Julianne! I totally agree. Since I have stopped watching tv almost all together, I have noticed such a difference! It just feels so chaotic to have it on. It is interesting to me how something that used to be such a huge habit for me has become something that I don't even miss. I also do have music on most of the time, but it is classical and I find that it brings in a lot of peace. I think you'll find that this week will be really great and you'll really feel the spirit.

I love reading about your little epiphany. Isn't that song so beautiful? What a great message! Thanks for giving me some food for thought.

Anonymous said...

From the category of interesting coincidences, Mom and I just barely finished practicing the song we chose for me to sing in Sacrament meeting next week -- "Be Still, My Soul". I opened your blog and there was your headline. Great advice, Julianne.
Dad

Laura said...

That is such a GREAT song! I am with you Rochelle, I HATE t.v. I watch about 2-3 shows a week. Never during the day. At night I will sit with Chip and we will watch something together for a bit. That is ALL I can handle! Usually it's Glenn Beck.

I hate the noise and cartoons are worthless in my opinion! My kids watch MAYBE 1 hour of t.v a day and usually they are just playing by the t.v. usually 1/2 hour in the morning to wake up and half hour in the afternoon. That's it! The peace is THE BEST!

Kari said...

What a great post! I need to do more of the same.

Kristine said...

This song is one that brings me much peace...
It is true that we need to keep the chaos out...and it is too easy to forget and drown out what we are feeling.
Thanks for sharing your feelings.

katri said...

Thanks for the great post. We rarely have the tv on in our house. (I am with Laura, I do like to watch Glenn Beck) But that is it. I can tell that my kids fight more and rougher when they have been watching tv. There is an uncommon joy to see and hear my kids playing and getting along together. So lovely!

btw... the visiting message mentioned that we should fill our spiritual resevoirs daily. You helped fill mine a little today! Thanks.