Sunday, May 20, 2007

Happy Birthday Grandma!

This picture was taken last summer on my Grandma Johnson's couch. From left to right is Brandon, Kate, Grandma, Megan, me, and Carli. Today is my grandmother's 89th birthday. Wow. Can you imagine all that she's lived through in 89 years? She is a fabulous and strong woman whom I admire and love so much. She raised 5 children, losing one at the age of 12 from leukemia from the fallout of nuclear tests that blew into Southern Utah. She's the best pianist I will ever know. She's a wonderful Grandma. She has 19 grandchildren and 21 great-grandchildren with more to come eventually. She married my grandfather and I think it was 3 days later he left for war and didn't return for 3 years. When he came home he walked right by her to see if she would notice him, but she did not even recognize him! How hard that must have been to marry, be alone for the next 3 years, and not even recognize your husband when he returned. My grandpa passes away after years of illnesses and health difficulties after choosing to stop the dialysis. He was gone a few days later. I'll post more about him in a couple of weeks when we celebrate what would have been his 92nd (I think) birthday. I am excited to spend time again with my grandma this summer when we take our yearly trek to southern Utah from Texas. What a wonderful woman she is!

No comments: