Monday, January 28, 2008

A Mighty Prophet, A Mighty Man

President Gordon B. Hinckley
1920-2008

I was so sad to hear of our prophet's death last night. I was glad to hear that he was surrounded by his family and I know he was ready to be reunited with his sweet wife again. Happy day for him!

He was a mighty man in so many ways. He served in the church for so many, many years. He has been the prophet my children have grown up with. I told them in the car this morning on the way to school. They were sad and quiet. I'm glad they know him and hopefully will always remember him. He was so genuine when he spoke. It always felt like he was speaking right to you and letting you know how much you were loved, even though he was speaking to millions of people. He had the best sense of humor. I always loved hearing him speak.

I was closest to him in real life when I went to Southern Utah University. I sang in the Institute choir and he had come for some special ceremony and we were to sing. It was held in the large sports venue. We got to stand on bleachers just behind him and the other speakers. When he walked in with his sweet precious wife they were holding hands and they both just glowed. What happiness and love shown from their persons. It was a special time and it was another time that the spirit bore witness to me that he was the prophet on the earth to lead and guide us. I will always remember him.

This slide show presentation on BYU's website is very sweet.

3 comments:

katri said...

Great post.

Your blog looks really cute. I like the new colors.

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

Thanks for that link. I loved it!

Liz said...

He will definitely be missed. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought of him as my grandpa too. He was a great storyteller and just so loveable. But what a happy day for him to be reunited with his wife. :)