Monday, November 26, 2007

Could it get any worse?

Yesterday Ben and I spoke in church. The topic was really great, the scriptures and the restoration of the gospel. I went first, of course, and Ben was left to fend for himself with the 4 kids. After about 10 minutes he had to take Carli out. I'm usually out in the hall with her for part of sacrament meeting. Since Daddy was out the girls took upon themselves to come up to stand with me on the podium. Ok, so not good. They take that as show off time. I calmly told them to sit down. Did they listen? Well, for about 5 seconds. How totally embarassing. After a minute a sweet sister came and helped them down and took them out to my husband and sat with Brandon in the bench. How grateful I am to her! The other problem is that whenever I speak in church, bear my testimony or whatever, I am pretty much overwhelmed with the Spirit and I get very emotional. I pretty much cry through the whole thing. After sacrament meeting I just wanted to hang my head and not talk to anyone. I'm grateful to the people who did come up to me and tell me they thought I did a great job (especially being so calm when my girls went up front, but come one, what did they expect me to do--yell at them in front of everyone?). So anyway, it was kind of a nightmare and I hope the bishopric learns from this and doesn't ask us to do that again for a very, very, very long time. We've only been in the ward for 1 year and it's the second time we've spoken. Ugh...

10 comments:

Thayne Johnson said...

Are you sure you and Ben didn't plan the whole thing like that so you wouldn't be asked to speak again? Genius!

Kari said...

I feel the same as you when I get up to bear my testimony. I'm overwhelmed by the spirit and then get emotional and then I'm so nervous when I'm done and half upset with myself for getting emotional -- I turn into a basketcase!!

FWIW, I could see my kids doing what yours did.

And I got my "Pie Rack" at Costco. I use it for whatever I need it for, desserts, hor d'oerves, chips and dip, etc... I highly recommend it! It was $20 or so.

Monson Family said...

Oh my goodness! I would die! I am so sorry! I am sure it didn't appear as bad as how it felt to you being up there! But hey, like you said, hopefully they won't ask you to give a talk for a long time!

Lyndsee Bates said...

That is crazy! I am the same way when it comes to bearing my testimony. I just cry the whole time!!! That stinks I'm sorry!!!!

Rochelleht said...

Oh, ouch! That totally sucks. I'm sorry. I'm glad someone took care of them for you. I can't believe you've spoken twice already!! I speak about once every three years. Our ward is always bigger...

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

Yeah, to the audience, it was no big deal....but to you - probably horrifying. Everyone has forgotten about it, except you I am srue. Our bishopric won't ever ask couples to speak together for that reason. I just spoke a few months ago and while sitting on the stand with the other guy, I felt a little weird because it probably looked as if we were married. Funny.

What a great lady that helped you out! That is soooooogreat!!!!!!!

Laura said...

Don't worry! Anyone who has kids understands and the rest- who might have cared... who cares!

I am sure you are being put to good use in that poor ward! They need more move-ins! We were run ragged when we were there!

katri said...

wow! that is really rough. It sounds like you kept your cool. Good for you for hanging in there... I'd have been tempted to run home. I am so glad that kind people talked with you after. So nice.

Twice in a year??? Ouch!

Megan said...

It sounds like you really kept your cool. I'm sure the whole ward understands and has probably had something similar happen to them. It sounds like you handled it with complete grace.

Chanda said...

Holy crap - I thought speaking in church couldn't get any worse. My sympathies! Makes for a funny story, though. On another note, I may be the dumbest person out there. I just tonight realized that you are "Take me to Hawaii." All this time you've been commenting on my blog, I thought you were some stranger. Can you say dense? I'll be checking in a little more regularly now that I've made my amazing discovery!